As many of our members will be aware, the team are already taking to the skies in preparation for the new season. The Bomber crews have spent the last few weeks carrying our training flights in the Dakota whilst the fighter crews are regularly seen in the skies in the Chipmunk. We thought we would introduce the new team members to you in the post below:
- Flight Lieutenant Neil Farrell (Bomber Leader)
- Squadron Leader Chris Fairley
- Flight Lieutenant Seb Davey
- Flight Lieutenant Paul Wise
- Flight Lieutenant Mat Moore
- Squadron Leader Colin Bostrom
- Squadron Leader Jim Furness
- Squadron Leader Michael Garland
- Flight Lieutenant Neil Whitehead
- Flight Lieutenant Nige Painter
- Flight Lieutenant James B Stokes MSc, AFRIN, MIET, MCGI
- Master Aircrew Rick Gomez
- Flight Sergeant Mark Fellows MSc BSc
- Master Aircrew Marcus Burton
- Master Aircrew Rob Ward
- Master Aircrew Andrew Welham-Jones
- Sergeant James ‘Jay’ Warden
- Squadron Leader Mark ‘Disco’ Discombe AFC (Officer Commanding BBMF)
- Group Captain Mark Flewin CBE
- Squadron Leader Mark Sugden
- Flight Lieutenant Andy Preece
Hold the date. This years Annual Members Day will take place on Saturday 28th September 2019 at the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at RAF Coningsby. Details for the day are currently being finalised and will be sent to members nearer the time. Ticket applications are NOT being accepted at this time and we will be writing to all members with details on how to apply later this year.
We are now able to offer joint memberships! Joint UK membership is £28 and Overseas Joint Membership is £42. Click the link below to view the memberships on our website and sign up today. To view our memberships click here
As many of you know, the BBMF came to fruition in 1957 at RAF Biggin Hill in Kent mainly at the instigation of Group Captain Peter Thompson and was known as the “RAF Historic Aircraft Flight”. Later renamed ‘The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight’ the flight has a fleet of 12 historic and priceless aircraft that Lincolnshire’s Lancaster Association helps to support in a number of ways.
One of the ways The Flight honours the aircrew, ground crew and squadrons of past campaigns is in the painting of the fleet of aircraft to represent different squadrons and pilots. We’ve put together a page that shows the current schemes that the aircraft are painted in with a little bit of information about their pilots and squadrons. We hope you find it of interest.
Click here to read the article.
Our Annual Members day 2018 will be on Saturday 29th September at RAF Coningsby. This is our annual gathering to support the BBMF and enjoy a day packed with various activities and flying and your chance to meet the pilots and team behind The Flight. Our merchandise trailer will be outside the event and we will have a stall inside the hangar. Please come along and say hi on the day!
We have provided some information below to help you get the most out of your day.
- Opening Time: 10am
- Location: The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, RAF Coningsby, Dogdyke Road, Lincolnshire. (Please DO NOT use the main entrance to the base and proceed along Dogdyke Road where you will be directed to the appropriate parking space).
- Entry: You will be required to bring a valid LLA Membership Card and ticket with you to gain entry.
- Searches: Bag and property searches may be undertaken.
- Cameras: You may use your camera whilst on the base however mobile phones should be switched to ‘airplane mode’ at all times.
- Facilities: There will be toilet facilities and refreshment stands available on the day.
- Parking: All cars will be directed to the appropriate car park on arrival. Please do not enter the BBMF Visitor Centre Car Park as this is reserved for disabled guests only.
- Disabled parking: If you have reserved a disabled parking space, please ensure that you have your Blue Badge prominently displayed so we can direct you to the correct location which will be in the BBMF Visitor Centre Car Park
The timetable of the day is as follows however, weather and serviceability of aircraft may affect the day. The LLA and BBMF cannot be held accountable for any changes to the programme on the day for events such as the weather. We appreciate your understanding on this and we hope that you enjoy your day.
- 10am Gates open
- 11.15am Flying Display begins
- 3.15pm Address by the Officer Commanding BBMF, Sqn Ldr Andy Millikin
PLEASE NOTE: There is no admission for electronic wheelchairs or mobility scooters within the BBMF hangar. We would advise members with limited mobility to arrange for the use of a manual wheelchair.
Three of The Flight’s aircraft received new paint schemes for the 2018 season. Supermarine Spitfire Mk XVIe TE311 was first out of the RAF Coningsby paint shop with her paint scheme representing Spitfire TD240 (SZ-G), the personal aircraft of the Officer Commanding 131 (Polish) Wing, Group Captain Aleksander Gabszewicz VM KW DSO DFC. DH Chipmunk WG486 then returned from the hangars of the Aircraft Restoration Company (ARCo) at Duxford representing the Bristol University Air Squadron which was based at Filton.
Finally Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX MK356 was revealed to all after a major service at Biggin Hill wearing the desert scheme of Spitfire Mk IX EN 152/QJ-3 of 92 Squadron based in Tunisia during 1943 and flown by pilot Neville Duke.
Please note that our Annual General Meeting will be held at Waddington Village Hall on Saturday 21 April 2018, starting at 2pm.